Penn Waste Collection
As a Borough of Mechanicsburg resident your weekly collection can be one of the two options listed in the chart below:
REFUSE COLLECTION Municipal Solid Waste must be placed in not more than four (4) 32 gallon containers and placed behind the curb line. Where there is no curbing, place containers next to the paved portion of the street or alley. Collection hours Mon-Fri, 5AM to 6PM. Wood ashes, dead animals, tree trunks, leaves, stumps, roots, concrete, construction debris and dangerous materials will not be collected. Containers may not be greater than 32 gallons and cannot exceed sixty (60) lbs. in weight. No person shall transport any garbage, rubbish or refuse into the Borough for disposal and/or collection. Dumping on Borough owned property is prohibited.
BAG OPTION Mechanicsburg Borough, in conjunction with Penn Waste, is offering residents an orange bag option for trash pickup. Households that generate just a small amount of trash may choose to purchase bags through the Borough Office. This option reduces the refuse portion of the sewer and trash bill to $80.00 per year for 16 bags compared to $180.00 for the regular collection of 208 bags per year. Under this program, any bulk item or appliance put out for pick up needs a bag attached in order to be collected. Residents on this option may still set out recycling each week for collection. Additional bags can be purchased at the office at any time and are $5.00 each. For more information, please call the Borough Office at (717)-691-3310.
Basic Residential Guidelines:
- Trash, Recycling and one bulk item must be curb side by 5:00 AM on your scheduled collection day, which will remain the same (see bottom of page for reference).
- Bags or containers must not exceed 32 gallons or 60 pounds.
- Yard Waste must not exceed 6 feet in length and must be bundled.
- Yard Waste collection must be scheduled by calling the Borough of Mechanicsburg Office at (717)-691-3310. (For more information on yard waste see the Composting Page.)
- Call Penn Waste to scheduled collection of appliances contained freon (air conditioners, refrigerators, freezers, etc.)
- No construction debris will be collected curb side.
Bulk Item Guidelines:
Mechanicsburg Borough residents may dispose of one (1) bulk item per week through curb side collection. Please have your waste, recycling and bulk item available for collection at the curb by 5:00 am.
- Box springs
- One (1) car tire without the rim
- Lawn mowers (oil and gasoline removed)
- Plumbing fixtures such as toilets and sinks
- Three (3) 4 ft. rolls of carpet (tied)
- Electronic waste (computers, televisions, etc.)
- Automobile parts
- Hazardous waste
- Tires on rims
- Commerical/industrial waste
- Construction materials (drywall, brick, block, lumber shingles, tiles, concrete)
Penn Waste Holiday Schedule 2016
|New Year’s Day||Friday||1/1/16 – Friday collections delayed one day.|
|Memorial Day||Monday||5/30/16 – Collections delayed one day all week.|
|Jubilee Day||Thursday||6/16/16 – Thursday and Friday collections delayed one day.|
|Independence Day||Monday||7/4/16 – Collections delayed one day all week.|
|Labor Day||Monday||9/5/16 – Collections delayed one day all week.|
|Thanksgiving||Thursday||11/24/16 – Thursday and Friday collections delayed one day.|
|Christmas||Sunday||12/25/16 – No Impact.|