Mechanicsburg Borough Recycling Regulations
Mechanicsburg Borough Code of Ordinances requires all Borough residents and businesses to recycle the items under Pennsylvania Act 101. The following guidelines are designed to help our residents comply with the Recycling Ordinance and remove items from the waste stream which can be recycled.
Place all recyclable materials at the curb next to regular trash for collection. recyclables will be picked up the same day by a separate recycling truck. Recyclables will be picked up every week on your designated trash day. Please find listed below recycling guidelines to assist you in identifying acceptable materials:
- Glass: Clear, green, blue and brown glass food and beverage containers.
- Metal: Aluminum beverage cans, steel food and beverage cans, aerosol cans, paint cans.
- Plastic: Bottles and jugs with #1 – #7 codes only. Clear and green soda bottles, milk, juice, water and cider jugs, also colored laundry detergent bottles are acceptable.
*All Materials must be thoroughly cleaned before placing them in your recycle container. Remove caps/lids but, it is OK to leave on labels and neck rings.
- Paper, Paperboard & Cardboard (Any Size, Any Quantity): cardboard boxes, clean pizza boxes, food boxes (i.e. cereal & gelatin boxes), EMPTY paper towel and toilet paper rolls, paperboard packaging (i.e. tissue boxes), office paper (any color), newspapers and inserts, magazines, catalogs, brochures, envelopes, junk mail, paper bags, paperboard food and drink cartons, phone books and other soft cover books.
- Shredded paper is recyclable, and reusable as packing material. It can also be composted. Check out this link to find out more!
*Please break down/flatten ALL boxes as much as possible.
*Cover loose paper with heavier items to prevent it from blowing away.
*Bundle all cardboard that does not fit into the recycling bin and put them out next to your recycle bin(s) on your pick-up day.
*Remove all packaging (styrofoam, peanuts, plastic bubble wrap, plastic liners, etc.)
*If the weather forecast calls for high winds or weather, if possible, keep your paper recyclables until the next week. Wet paper products are hard to process.
- broken glass, windows, mirrors, ceramics, drinking glasses, aluminum foil, scrap metal, clothing hangers (metal or plastic), plastic tableware (knives, forks, spoons, etc.), plastic shopping bags, light bulbs, food soiled material, wet papers or cardboard, shredded paper, plastic food wrappers, used paper towels or tissues, Styrofoam, pool chemicals, packing peanuts, plastic bubble wrap, garden hose, Christmas lights, diapers, food waste & propane tanks
- Needles and Medical Waste: DO NOT place used needles or any other medical waste with recycling! This is a serious health hazard to everyone!
- Electronic Waste: desktop computers, laptops, monitors, computer peripherals (keyboard, mouse printer & speakers), televisions or e-readers that browse the internet.
*By law, as of January 24, 2013, Penn Waste is not allowed to collect your electronic waste. The Covered Devices Recycling Act prohibits residents and businesses from placing their electronic waste at the curb or in their trash.
*For more information on how to legally dispose of your electronic waste, please contact Penn Waste, Inc. at (717)-767-4456 or visit www.pennwaste.com
* eWastePA.org – A consumer guide to electronics recycling in PA. Educate. Empower. Engage. The site not only explains why and how to recycle electronics, it links consumers to recycling programs in their community. It provides easy to use tools for consumers to advocate for access to convenient and affordable trash disposal and recycling in Pennsylvania by linking them with their local legislators as well as the manufacturers that are responsible for the cost of recycling of e-waste in Pennsylvania.
What to do with Construction and Demolition Materials?
Interested in obtaining a new recycle bin? Bring your old, damaged recycle bin into the Borough office to trade for a larger, brand new recycle bin at no cost to you! Extra bins may be purchased for $5.00.