THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS SUPPLIED TO ANY PERSON WHO WISHES TO SOLICIT ON A TEMPORARY BASIS IN THE BOROUGH OF MECHANICSBURG:
- Each and every person intending to engage in peddling or soliciting within the Borough of Mechanicsburg is required to apply for and obtain a permit.
- A Transient Business Permit is only valid for the individual person to whom it is issued and is not transferable.
- A completed application, including any required documents, is required to be provided to the Mechanicsburg Police Department at least five (5) business days in advance of the beginning of the time period for which the intended peddling or soliciting will occur.
- A copy of a current government-issued photo identification card must be provided with the application. The Borough reserves the right to inspect the original identification card.
- The applicant shall furnish a copy of a Pennsylvania Criminal History Check dated within thirty (30) days of the date of the application for a Transient Business permit. The Criminal History Check shall be for the individual applicant. A copy of the Criminal History Check Form is available upon request or online. Please note that the PA State Police, not the Mechanicsburg Police Department, supplies the Criminal History Check results.
- A fee of $10.00 per person, per day, is required to be paid at the time the application is submitted. Application fees will not be refunded if the application is rejected or for an issued permit which is subsequently suspended before it expires.
- A Transient Business Permit is valid for a maximum of five (5) days from the date of issuance. Upon request and the payment of the requisite fees, a Permit may be extended for an additional five (5) days.
- An issued Permit must be carried by the applicant at all times and exhibited upon demand to any Police Officer, Official or Resident of the Borough of Mechanicsburg.
THE FOLLOWING ARE THE PRIMARY ACTS PROHIBITED:
- Soliciting without a Permit
- Refusing to exhibit a Permit upon demand
- Soliciting at a location where a “No Soliciting” sign issued by the Borough is displayed
- Engaging in hard-sell tactics
- Soliciting between the hours of 8:00 PM – 9:00 AM Monday through Friday or 4:00 PM – 10:00 AM on Saturday and Sunday
- Selling any product not listed in the Permit application
- For a complete listing of prohibited acts, a copy of the Ordinance is available for inspection during normal business hours upon demand of any person