Composting Making Headlines! HERE
Compost Facility Improvements
Mechanicsburg Borough and Silver Spring Township are proud to announce upcoming improvements to the Joint Compost Facility located at 842 West Church Road in Mechanicsburg.
- In an effort to curb use by non-residents and to improve safety and security, a new gate was installed at the JCF.
- The gate, along with revised Rules for Use and the installation of security cameras will help prevent misuse by non– residents, ensuring that best use practices are followed while maintaining safety.
- Access cards are $10.00 per household and ensure that residents have access to the facility for one year. Access cards are available for purchase weekdays at either the Mechanicsburg Borough Office or Silver Spring Township Administration Office. Access cards expire on the 31st of December every year. Renewals will be required for continued use of the facility.
This facility is for use by residents of SILVER SPRING TOWNSHIP and/or the BOROUGH OF MECHANICSBURG and is for yard waste generated on properties from the municipalities listed and transported by residents or by municipal staff. A valid permit is required for entry. If you have any questions, please contact Silver Spring Township at (717) 766-0178 or the Borough of Mechanicsburg at (717) 691-3310.
- COMMERCIAL LANDSCAPING BUSINESSES UTILIZING THIS FACILITY ARE REQUIRED TO HOLD A COMMERCIAL BUSINESS ACCESS CARD.
- One vehicle per swipe.
- Use of this site is at your own risk. Due to the possibility of numerous residents entering and exiting the site simultaneously, there is a need to exhibit extra caution and care when utilizing this facility.
- No skateboarding, rollerblading, bicycling or similar activities permitted.
- This facility is protected by 24 hour recorded video surveillance.
- Anyone found in violation of the following rules shall be subject to applicable fines and/or penalties as the law allows.
- Violators may have their privilege to use the site revoked, without refund.
- This facility is for the collection of leaves, brush, and shrubbery clippings ONLY.
- Grass clippings, garbage, dirt, stones, fruits, vegetables, other food and/or garden waste
- Treated lumber, landscaping timber, cross ties, painted wood, wooden furniture and/or construction & demolition debris. No commerically chipped wood.
- Trash, household hazardous waste, medical waste, bulky items (appliances, furniture), tires and/or scrap metal.
- Branches over fourteen (14) inches in diameter and/or tree stumps.
- Skid loaders or chain saws
- NO BAGS OR CONTAINERS ARE TO BE LEFT AT THE SITE.
Curbside Yard Waste Collection Guidelines:
Yard waste is material such as tree trimmings, shrubbery and other organic landscape vegetation not listed below.
DO NOT place these items out for yard waste collection:
Grass Clippings, Fruits & Vegetables, Tree Stumps, Dirt & Stones
How to Prepare Yard Waste:
- Contact Borough of Mechanicsburg Office at (717)-691-3310 to schedule yard waste collection.
- Place yard waste in biodegradable brown paper bags or bundle it with biodegradable twine in easy-to-handle bundles.
- Bundles may be no longer than 6 feet in length.
- Bundles may not weigh more than 30 pounds each.
- Branches may not exceed 6 inches in diameter
- Once prepare, yard waste must be placed at the curb on scheduled pick up day before 5am